Saturday, May 28, 2011

Funeral Poem

Today the body of my dear friend Linda was laid to rest in a beautiful, park-like setting. Her spirit--her true self--left earth very early Monday morning. I ache for her husband, whose mother died three hours before Linda; I ache for her children, who didn't appreciate her until the last two months; I ache for those of us who will think, "Oh, Linda will want to hear about this!" and then realize that our time for talking together is past.

But I do not hurt for her. I am happy for her, for leaving behind the eleven years of fighting cancer, for her release from pain, for her reunion with dear ones gone before. On the day she died, she kept calling the names of deceased family and friends, some whom she hadn't mentioned in years. Was she seeing them beckon her to them? I'd like to think so.

Steve's funeral message was lovely--very much centered on Linda, whose life was centered on Jesus. He ended with this poem by an anonymous author, a poem I'll save to share with others as needed.

When I come to the end of the road,
and the sun has set for me,
I want no rites in the gloom-filled room,
Why cry for a soul set free?
Miss me a little, but not too long,
and not with your head bowed low;
Remember the love that we once shared,
Miss me, but let me go,
For this is a journey that we all must take
and each must go alone.
It is all a part of the Master's plan,
a step on the road to home.
When you are lonely and sick at heart,
go to the friends we know
And bury your sorrows in doing good deeds,
miss me, but let me go.

Go in peace, dear Linda.

2 comments:

supermomdoesn'texist said...

Thank you for sharing this. Beautiful poem, and very touching the fact that she was naming deceased family members/friends at the end. It's comforting to realize that the end, as we see it, is not that at all.

Lanita Bradley Boyd said...

Great comment, Melissa! Thanks for stating it so well.